Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    BRITAIN-BOUND: NDDC Huge Drive to Send Top Talents to UK Universities

    22 May 2026

    Interswitch Unveils Digital Forecourt Suite with ‘Pay-As-You-Want’ Capability at NNPC Retail Transformation Summit

    22 May 2026

    Hamzat Vows To Work For All Lagosians After Landslide Victory In APC Guber Primary

    22 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Entertainment»POLICE DUB NOTTING HILL CARNIVAL MORE POIGNANT THIS YEAR
    Entertainment

    POLICE DUB NOTTING HILL CARNIVAL MORE POIGNANT THIS YEAR

    starconnectBy starconnect30 August 2017No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Drummers at the Notting Hill Carnival, London
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Admin l Wednesday, August 30, 2017

    LONDON – London Metropolitan Police has described the Notting Hill Carnival in London as even more poignant since it took place in the shadow of the terrible tragedy at Grenfell Tower which took place few weeks back.




    The police added that it is unacceptable that 31 officers were injured.
    Assistant Commissioner, Martin Hewitt who made the revelation said Notting Hill Carnival is always a significant event for London and particularly the communities of west London. “This year’s Carnival has been even more poignant as it took place in the shadow of the terrible tragedy at Grenfell Tower only a few weeks ago”, he said.

    “I’d like to thank the thousands of people who took to the streets last weekend for the respect and consideration they showed to those people directly affected by the fire.

    “This year’s Carnival also took place under the shadow of an unprecedented terrorist threat, not only in London but also in Europe. Our planning was significantly impacted by those events, most notably the recent attack in Barcelona.

    “This is the reason that this year called for an even greater level of planning for the delivery of Carnival, with all working to the simple objective of making it a safe and secure event for everyone attending to enjoy. There were real safety concerns expressed after last year’s event and we’ve been working closely with our partners to deliver on the recommendations from the safety review that took place.

    “I would like to pay tribute to the courage and professionalism of the police officers, members of staff and the very experienced command team who have worked tirelessly not just over this long weekend but for the many weeks and months spent planning to keep the public safe.

    “Some 7,500 officers were out on the streets on Monday and around 6,000 on the Sunday, which is a huge commitment for the Met. It comes with a cost, both financial and to our people. Supporting the event comes at a time where our organisation is at a level of unprecedented stretch in terms of demand and in terms of mitigating the developing and persistent terrorist threat.

    “Together with the City of London Police and British Transport Police we have run a number of operations over the past few weeks to target those people who look to attend Carnival with the intent of committing crime. I’m pleased that all this work resulted in far fewer acts of violence and no one seriously injured.

    “However, I do not believe that when policing an event of celebration for London it is acceptable that 31 of my officers were injured. This is better than last year, but it is still too many and it should not be any of our expectations that this violence against police officers takes place.
    “We will do all we can working with the Mayor, the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime, the Carnival Trust, both local authorities and all those partner agencies that come together to deliver Carnival in order to build on the improvements made together. There will now be a review to look at how last year’s safety review recommendations were implemented and see what lessons can be learned to ensure more progress is made to make Carnival safer in the future.

    “Carnival is a celebration and enormous creativity and effort is put in over the year by the Carnivalists to create a spectacle that London can be proud of. That spectacle deserves to be an event that is safely and properly organised, and managed.

    “Our policing operation has a significant part of play in delivering a secure event. However I – and I am sure all those who deliver Carnival – do not want to see another year where concerns about the safety of hundreds of people tightly packed into narrow streets continue to exist and we must all work to ensure that appropriate measures are in place next year to avoid this identified risk.”

    Notting Hill Carnival
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleHEAVY SECURITY PRESENCE AS POLICE ARRAIGNS EVANS THE KIDNAPPER
    Next Article EVANS SPEAKS: POLICE FORCED ME TO PLEAD GUILTY, SEE VIDEO
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​SURULERE SHOWDOWN: Desmond Elliot Insists Dramatic Election Exit Was “Statesmanship, Not Surrender”

    20 May 2026

    ​BIBI’S HEROIC HISTORY CASH: Netanyahu launches £60m war chest to defend ancient Israeli sites from ‘thieves’

    20 May 2026

    Lagos Supports 200+ Cultural Events In Push To Become Africa’s Tourism Capital

    20 May 2026

    Shyllon Museum, TheMuseumsLab Network, Set to Host nternational Residency for Cultural Professionals in 2026

    20 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    BRITAIN-BOUND: NDDC Huge Drive to Send Top Talents to UK Universities

    22 May 2026

    Interswitch Unveils Digital Forecourt Suite with ‘Pay-As-You-Want’ Capability at NNPC Retail Transformation Summit

    22 May 2026

    Hamzat Vows To Work For All Lagosians After Landslide Victory In APC Guber Primary

    22 May 2026

    Emirates Skywards launches global ‘Season of Rewards’ campaign for members worldwide

    22 May 2026

    Lagos 2027: Now that the coast is clear for Hamzat

    22 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    BRITAIN-BOUND: NDDC Huge Drive to Send Top Talents to UK Universities

    22 May 2026

    Interswitch Unveils Digital Forecourt Suite with ‘Pay-As-You-Want’ Capability at NNPC Retail Transformation Summit

    22 May 2026

    Hamzat Vows To Work For All Lagosians After Landslide Victory In APC Guber Primary

    22 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    or
    Login with Bluehost
    Lost password?