AS JONATHAN PLEDGES $3 MILLION FOR EBOLA
Five hundred and thirty-nine (539) People have died of Ebola Virus Disease (EBV) out of the 888 cases recorded in the three West African Countries of Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia since February, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.
“As of 8 July 2014, the cumulative number of cases attributed to EVD in the three countries stands at 888, including 539 deaths. The distribution and classification of the cases are as follows: Guinea, 409 cases (296 confirmed, 96 probable, and 17 suspected) and 309 deaths (197 confirmed, 96 probable, and 16 suspected); Liberia, 142 cases (70 confirmed, 32 probable, and 40 suspected) and 88 deaths (44 confirmed, 28 probable, and 16 suspected); and Sierra Leone, 337 cases (298 confirmed, 34 probable, and 5 suspected) and 142 deaths (127 confirmed, 11 probable, and 4 suspected)”, the organisation said.
It added that at least 44 new cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) have been recorded between July 6th and 8th, with 21 victims confirmed dead.
These new figures were recorded in three West African Countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
“Guinea,1 new case and 2 deaths; Liberia, 11 new cases with 4 deaths; and Sierra Leone 32 new cases and 15 deaths. These numbers include laboratory-confirmed, probable, and suspect cases and deaths of EVD”, WHO noted.
The figure rose just as President Goodluck Jonathan at a summit of the Economic Community of West African States(ECOWAS) in Ghana on Thursday pledged donation to the tune of $3m (£1.8m) to the regional fund to combat the disease.
Ebola spreads through contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids and there is no vaccine or cure. Traces of EVD were spotted February in Sierra Leone and the onslaught has continued since then.