Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Rejects Businessman Ufoma Joseph Immanuel Bail, Dismisses Objection

    23 May 2026

    Aroma Electrocution Scare:Anambra Newspaper Vendor Recounts Miraculous Escape

    23 May 2026

    Excellent Father, Woeful Husband” — Jim Iyke Opens Up About the Heartbreaking Reality Behind His Failed Marriage

    23 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Sports»Top diver Hempel demands compensation over abuse by coach
    Sports

    Top diver Hempel demands compensation over abuse by coach

    starconnectBy starconnect19 March 2023Updated:19 March 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Jan Hempel, former world-class water diver, is pictured in the studio of the ARD talk show "Maischberger". Hempel has announced he will sue the German Swimming Federation (DSV) for compensation and damages after being sexually abused by his coach during his career. Photo: Henning Kaiser/dpa
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Admin l Sunday, March 19, 2023

     

    FRANKFURT – Former German top diver Jan Hempel has announced he will sue the German Swimming Federation (DSV) for compensation and damages after being sexually abused by his coach during his career.

    Hempel’s lawyer, Thomas Summerer, told broadcasters ARD in an interview Sunday that they were seeking more than €1 million ($1.07 million) from the DSV.

    Hempel went public with the case last year, and the legal complaint says the two-time Olympic medallist was abused more than 1,200 times during his career by the late coach Werner Langer over 14 years in the 1980s and 1990s.

    “It is the most blatant case of abuse that German sport has ever experienced,” Summerer said.

    The lawyer spoke of a precedent which could open the door for other athletes to take similar action, and that they were ready to fight in court for many years, if necessary.

    “The German Swimming Federation organisation has completely failed in monitoring and controlling its coaches. There was only cover-up. This organisational culpability leads to a federation being liable,” Summerer said.

    Hempel had accused the DSV of cover-up last year. The federation then suspended national team coach Lutz Buschkow who was said to have known of the abuse but had done nothing. Buschkow said he only became aware of it when Hempel went public.

    Summerer said they had talked with the DSV about compensation and that there had been a verbal agreement in principle but that they were now going to court because nothing has happened since then.

    “Nothing has happened that would keep our confidence in the German swimming federation high,” he said.

     

     

    Post Views: 1,612
    Hampel
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleWork begins on controversial Baltic Sea LNG terminal, says RWE
    Next Article Hamburg churches commemorate killing of Jehovah’s Witnesses
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​TONEY’S SAUDI SAMBA! Ivan the terrible for hosts as Goncalves runs riot in Al Ahli four-goal thrashing

    21 May 2026

    ​DESERT SHOCKER! Bottom-Dwellers Al Najma Stun High-Flying Stars of Al Shabab in Saudi Sensation

    21 May 2026

    ​ORLANDO MAGIC! Brazilian Sensation Tiago Bags Brace as Lions Bash Shocking Atlanta

    21 May 2026

    ​AMERICAN BEAUTY! St. Louis Conquer Houston in Cup Shootout Thriller After Four-Goal Epic

    21 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Rejects Businessman Ufoma Joseph Immanuel Bail, Dismisses Objection

    23 May 2026

    Aroma Electrocution Scare:Anambra Newspaper Vendor Recounts Miraculous Escape

    23 May 2026

    Excellent Father, Woeful Husband” — Jim Iyke Opens Up About the Heartbreaking Reality Behind His Failed Marriage

    23 May 2026

    ​STREETS OF FEAR: Stamford Hill hate monster jailed after terrorizing Jewish community and smashing up car

    23 May 2026

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Rejects Businessman Ufoma Joseph Immanuel Bail, Dismisses Objection

    23 May 2026

    Aroma Electrocution Scare:Anambra Newspaper Vendor Recounts Miraculous Escape

    23 May 2026

    Excellent Father, Woeful Husband” — Jim Iyke Opens Up About the Heartbreaking Reality Behind His Failed Marriage

    23 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?