August 12, 2014 – Mafoluku in Oshodi, Lagos State was thrown into confusion on Monday night when an overnight fire consumed two children at No. 43 Salami Street, Mafolokwu, Oshodi.
Ikeja Disco had cut off power supply to the area forcing their mother, Ada Patrick to lit the room with candlelight while the children were asleep not knowing that he was invariably laying the foundation for fire that would wreck her life.
The children slept and the candle light burnt until the wax melted. The tiny thread left in the candle wax found a resting place in the nearby mattress which set the room and the storey building alight.
According to an eye witness, the tragedy occurred around 8:38 PM when the two infants, two years each were burnt beyond recognition before men of the Lagos State Fire service could reach them.
The children called Joel Chukwu and Monadi Samuel were sleeping when the fire occurred in the flat. According to the mother of one of the children, Ada Patrick, the children were sleeping in the room when the incident occurred. She said one of the children belonged to her relation but that the child was living with her.
Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Razak Fadipe confirmed that two infants died in the fire disaster last night, lamenting that the fire service was not called on time to put out the fire.
“We got a distress call around 8:38pm last night and when we got there, we discovered that it was a storey building on fire. The top floor has two bedroom apartment and four single rooms, while the ground floor has two bedroom and six single rooms.
They did not call us on time when the fire occurred,” he said.
Fadipe said the fire was caused by a candle stick which was lit by the family and went to sleep without putting it out, saying the candle stick fell and resulted in the fire.
He said two water tanks of 10,000 litres each were used in putting the fire, adding that the Isolo and Ilupeju Fire Stations were involved in putting out the fire.
According to him, the top floor of the building was razed, especially the two bedrooms flat in the top floor housing the deceased children and their family.
He appealed to residents to desist from using candle in their houses as it could be very dangerous, saying that they could purchase cheap rechargeable lamp that would be more useful for them at night and called on Landlord to ensure that their tenants do not use candle light in their homes.