Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»Notwithstanding his demise, German court sets date to hear abuse against Pope Benedict XVI
    News

    Notwithstanding his demise, German court sets date to hear abuse against Pope Benedict XVI

    starconnectBy starconnect2 January 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    German court set for historic hearing of abuse despite demise of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
    Pope Benedict XVI arrives at his throne in St. Peter's Square at Vatican for his weekly general audience on October 28, 2009 . AFP PHOTO / Vincenzo PINTO (Photo credit should read VINCENZO PINTO/AFP via Getty Images)
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Admin l Monday, January 2, 2023

     

    BAVARIA – A lawsuit against Pope Benedict XVI is still nominally set to be heard despite the former pontiff’s death on New Year’s Eve, a court official said on Monday.

    “It is true that in principle an interruption occurs with the death of a party,” said spokeswoman Andrea Titz at the Traunstein Regional Court in Bavaria, citing Germany’s civil law code. “In the present case, however, this does not apply, as the deceased was represented by an attorney of record.”

    Joseph Ratzinger, who died on December 31 aged 95, had hired a large law firm to represent him in the proceedings. The litigation agent could apply for a stay of proceedings until it is clarified who Ratzinger’s heirs are, Titz said: “Whether such a request will be made, I cannot say yet.”

    Last summer, a man who said he had been sexually abused by a convicted repeat offender, known under Germany’s privacy laws as Priest H., filed a civil suit at the Traunstein court.

    The suit is not only directed against Ratzinger, who was Archbishop of Munich and Freising at the time when the abuser was transferred to his diocese, but also against the convicted man himself, the archdiocese, as well as Ratzinger’s successor in the office of archbishop, Cardinal Friedrich Wetter.

    One of the aims of the lawsuit is to establish whether diocesan officials covered up criminal acts and thereby made further acts possible.

    “The lawsuit will continue with the heir or heirs of the deceased,” the plaintiff’s lawyer, Andreas Schulz, also told dpa.

    The Sauerteig Initiative, a group formed in the wake of revelations of widespread abuse at Catholic institutions in Germany, which supports the plaintiff, expressed regret that Benedict’s role is now unlikely to be dealt with legally.

    “By clarifying his responsibility before a secular court, he could have taken a significant step for the future of the Catholic Church,” the group said in a statement. “The fact that Pope Emeritus Benedict can now no longer render this service to his Church is probably part of the tragedy of his life.”

    Post Views: 888
    Pope Benedict XVI
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleNigeria in 2023: Major indicators that will define the year
    Next Article Omobolanle Raheem: Men of Ajah Police station transferred
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?