January 10, 2015 – The Nigerian military on Friday intensified operation in Baga Town, a sprawling fishing community earlier overrun by Boko Haram.
In a statement in Abuja, Director National Emergency Management Agency, Mr. Mike Omeri said security forces have responded rapidly, and have deployed significant military assets and conducted air strikes in a bid to reclaim the area.
A district head of the community had told reporters that over 100 people were killed when members of the sect invaded the community last week and overran the military base used by multinational forces comprising Nigeria, Niger, Cameroun and Chad.
Several residents are said to have fled to Borno and other neighboring communities.
He said his agency is working with the Red Cross to provide humanitarian assistance to 2,000 people who had fled Baga town.
Meanwhile Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh has said that Niger and Chad have withdrawn troops from the Multinational Joint Task Force.
Badeh who briefed the press after a meeting of the Security Council at the Presidential villa on the Counter terrorism operations in the North East said what has been happening is that the affected countries have not contributed troops to the point of Baga.
“Chad has people of their own side but I believe they have withdrawn. Niger had people with us; they too withdrew and left Nigeria only at the multinational force headquarters,” he said