Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Etinosa, a Nigerian National Facing Deportation After ICE Arrest in Los Angeles

    25 May 2026

    Akinwunmi to Examine Nigeria’s Financial Reforms at Achievers Varsity Lecture

    25 May 2026

    Artnovation Brings Africa–Europe Creative Dialogue to Milan

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Business»Huddles cleared for German Government to takeover struggling Meyer Werft Shipyard
    Business

    Huddles cleared for German Government to takeover struggling Meyer Werft Shipyard

    starconnectBy starconnect16 September 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    By Lennart Stock, dpa I Monday, Sept 16, 2024

    BERLIN – A major bailout plan for the struggling Meyer Werft shipyard was finalized on Monday with stakeholders signing contracts that clear the way for a temporary state takeover of the shipbuilder.

    Last week, the budgetary committees of both the federal parliament in Berlin and the north-western state of Lower Saxony parliament in Hanover approved state aid to the company.

    “The shipyard’s future has thus been stabilized, and we are now firmly predicting that we will see positive development at the production sites,” Olaf Lies, economy minister for Lower Saxony, said on Monday after a meeting at company headquarters in Papenburg.

    He said that some 340 jobs would be cut during restructuring.

    Together, the state and federal governments will take over 80% of the shares in the struggling shipyard.

    Both agreed to split the cost of a €400 million ($445 million) investment.

    Both governments also plan to offer loan guarantees of around €1 billion each to allow Meyer Werft to secure funding to complete orders.

    Political leaders have said the takeover will be temporary, but there is not a fixed exit date for government ownership of the company.

    Contractual details were settled on Friday, with a large number of banks involved, Lies said.

    The 200-year-old company is best known for building large cruise ships. The Meyer Group employs a total of some 7,000 workers.

    In addition to the Papenburg site on the Ems River near Germany’s North Sea coast, it operates shipyards at the port of Rostock on the Baltic Sea and in Turku, Finland, also on the Baltic.

    While the Meyer’s order books are full, contracts concluded before the pandemic did not foresee subsequent sharp rises in energy and raw materials costs.

    An additional factor in shipbuilding is that 80% of payment is made only on delivery, and Meyer needed to put up almost €2.8 billion up to the end of 2027.

    The shipyard would have run out of money without agreement by Sunday.

    Post Views: 524
    Meyer Werft
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleGloomy days ahead for Volkswagen commercial vehicles unit
    Next Article UniCredit plots takeover of Commerzbank
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    The ₦1trn Food Security, Wealth Fund for Lagosians

    23 May 2026

    Interswitch Unveils Digital Forecourt Suite with ‘Pay-As-You-Want’ Capability at NNPC Retail Transformation Summit

    22 May 2026

    Emirates Skywards launches global ‘Season of Rewards’ campaign for members worldwide

    22 May 2026

    Lagos Earmarks ₦5bn Intervention Fund for MSMEs

    20 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    Etinosa, a Nigerian National Facing Deportation After ICE Arrest in Los Angeles

    25 May 2026

    Akinwunmi to Examine Nigeria’s Financial Reforms at Achievers Varsity Lecture

    25 May 2026

    Artnovation Brings Africa–Europe Creative Dialogue to Milan

    24 May 2026

    APGA Primaries Fallout in Anambra: Two Agunachemba Operatives Hospitalised After Alleged Assault

    24 May 2026

    HOLY WAR: Israel President warns of ‘creeping violence’ in shocking civil war of words with right-wing firebrand Ben-Gvir

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    Etinosa, a Nigerian National Facing Deportation After ICE Arrest in Los Angeles

    25 May 2026

    Akinwunmi to Examine Nigeria’s Financial Reforms at Achievers Varsity Lecture

    25 May 2026

    Artnovation Brings Africa–Europe Creative Dialogue to Milan

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?