Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Media»ANTI MEDIA BILL: MIIVOC CALLS OFF PLANNED 100,000 MAN – MARCH IN IMO
    Media

    ANTI MEDIA BILL: MIIVOC CALLS OFF PLANNED 100,000 MAN – MARCH IN IMO

    starconnectBy starconnect2 March 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Deputy Speaker of the Imo State House of Assembly, Hon. Ugonna Ozurigbo
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Admin l Thursday, March 02, 2017

    OWERRI, Imo, Nigeria – Following the formal withdrawal of the Anti-Media Bill on the floor of the Imo State House of Assembly, as demanded, a Civil Society Organisation, Media Initiative against Injustice, Violence and Corruption-MIIVOC, has called off its planned one hundred thousand (100,000) man-march in the state.





    In a Statement, issued by MIIVOC, signed by its Executive Director, Dr. Walter Duru, the group said it decided to call off the planned protest, as the main demand, which was the withdrawal of the draconian anti-media bill had been achieved.

    “Following the official withdrawal of the Anti-media Bill by its sponsor and Deputy Speaker of the Imo State House of Assembly, Hon. Ugonna Ozurigbo on the floor of the state Assembly, MIIVOC hereby notifies all its members and allies that the planned protest, earlier scheduled for next week Monday will no longer hold.”

    “However, even as mobilization and every arrangements for the protest is suspended, we shall be vigilant, to ensure that it is not reintroduced in any other form. We therefore commend all our members and ally organisations, particularly, the Freedom of Information Coalition, Nigeria and other sister coalitions for their readiness and willingness to take the state by storm over the anti-masses bill.”

    Duru however called on the State Assembly to consider adopting the Freedom of Information Act, as a way of promoting transparency and accountability in the State.

    “The Freedom of Information Act is applicable to all levels and arms of government in Nigeria. However, the present state Assembly members could write their names in gold by adopting the FOI Act in the state. I have personally reached out to the Deputy Speaker to acknowledge his withdrawal of the Bill. I also assured him of our readiness to assist him in developing some draft legislation that will promote transparency and accountability in the state and the FOI Act is one of such bills.”

    It would be recalled that MIIVOC announced its plan of a one hundred thousand man-march in Owerri, Imo State capital against the proposed bill to gag the media in the state by the State Assembly, describing it as anti-masses.




    In an earlier statement announcing the planned protest, Duru said: “We are mobilizing citizens against this draconian bill. The state will not believe what will happen in the coming days; members of the state Assembly will realise that they are representatives of the people and not mere self-serving individuals and stooges of the executive arm. I hold strongly and nobody can convince me to the contrary, that whoever that does not want to be discussed should stay away from public offices.”

    “Imo people are hungry and there is no semblance of good governance in the state. How does this bill put food on the table of Imo people? How does it entrench transparency and accountability in governance? The focus now should be on legislation that will improve the socio-economic well-being of the people, enhance security and check corruption in the state, and not this evil ploy. The bill should be discarded in its totality. It belongs to the dust bin and should be thrown away without delay.”

    Post Views: 725
    Anti-media bill MIIVOC
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleNFF, MATCH AGENT CONFIRM DETAILS OF EAGLES’ ENCOUNTER IN LONDON
    Next Article OSCE HAILS RELEASE OF JOURNALIST DJAMSHID KARIMOV
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    UNESCO Demands Urgent Medical Care for Imprisoned Nobel Laureate Narges Mohammadi Amid Critical Health Crisis

    6 May 2026

    P+ Beats Three Agencies to Win NSIA Media Intelligence Business

    28 April 2026

    SERAP, NGE Sue NBC Over ‘Unlawful’ Threat to Sanction Broadcasters

    26 April 2026

    Media Power Play: The Brands Dominating Print Advertising and Market Visibility in Nigeria

    21 April 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026

    APC Presidential Primary: Tinubu Wins Own Ward L2 In Eti-Osa LG

    23 May 2026

    ​THE DRONE RANGERS: Armed gang who shot female passenger and took 13 hostage defeated by high-tech police team in Edo jungle shootout

    23 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?