Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Business»Energy»Vigeo legal advisers caution NERC against illegal takeover of BEDC
    Energy

    Vigeo legal advisers caution NERC against illegal takeover of BEDC

    starconnectBy starconnect5 September 2022No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Vigeo warns NERC over BEDC
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Admin l Monday, September 5, 2022

     

    LAGOS, Nigeria – The legal advisers to Vigeo Power Limited – core investors in BEDC Electricity Distribution Company Plc – have cautioned the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to refrain from alleged illegal means to alter the composition of the BEDC board of directors.

    They gave the warning in a letter signed by Kunle Adegoke, SAN, to NERC, its Chairman Sanusi Garba and Dafe Akpeneye, with the headline, “Re: Notice to the general public on the legitimate and statutorily recognised board of directors /management of BEDC Electricity PLC,”

    Adegoke said the letter was BEDC’s response to an unsigned publication with, purportedly issued by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC or the Commission) and dated the 1st day of September 2022 (the Contemptuous Publication).

    He contended that, “Whilst we have assumed that the contemptuous publication did not emanate from NERC, not least because it is unsigned, and will amount to a direct affront to the court (for the reasons stated below), we are, out of abundance of caution, and for the avoidance of doubt, constrained to state as follows:

    “We are aware that the Commission is conscious of the fact that NERC is the 2nd Defendant in Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/1113/2022

    “As previously mentioned, we feel certain that no law-abiding public officer or public institution could have authorised the issuance of unsigned contemptuous publication. If the contemptuous publication is being wrongly attributed to the Commission, we urge the Commission to publicly disassociate itself from the publication.

    “However, in the unlikely event that the Contemptuous Publication was authorised by NERC, the Commission should be reminded of the grave consequences that follow disobedience of court orders.”

    The letter reminded the Commission of the contempt proceedings pending against it for alleged gross violation of the orders of court.

    “Your counsel was in court when the court directed all defendants in the suit to first comply with the orders of court on the 22nd day of July, 2022,” Adegoke said.

    The lawyer said his clients were aware of the Commission’s alleged plan to “collaborate with some elements to invade the premises of BEDC and forcefully impose the illegal directors on the company notwithstanding the absence of authority to impose directors on a company regulated by law. We will urge the Commission to refrain from such action.”

    The unsigned letter referenced by Adegoke was titled: Notice to the general public on the legitimate and statutorily recognized board of directors/management of BEDC Electricity Plc.

    It claimed, among others, that under the Electric Power Sector Reform Act (EPSRA), regulatory instruments issued pursuant to EPSRA and the terms and conditions of the licence issued to BEDC, NERC is the primary authority to statutorily recognise the board/management of BEDC as an operator in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI).

    “We also note the inaccurate analysis of the effect of the court order in the Contemptuous Publication. Being a party to the FHC Action, the appropriate step to be taken by NERC is to ventilate its grievance with the order before the court, and not denigrate it, as has been purportedly done in the Contemptuous Publication.

    “It is on record that whilst NERC is represented by counsel in the FHC Action, it has not (at least as of the last sitting of the Court on the 22nd day of July, 2022) filed any process in the suit and neither has it filed any application to seek that the orders of court were wrongly procured or to have the Court set same aside.”

    “We further note the assertion in the contemptuous publication that the security created over the shares of one of our client’s shareholders had been enforced, and that the Commission acted in accordance with its business continuity rules.

    “In connection with the issue of the security over the shares, we wish to reiterate that the matter is currently the subject of an action before The Hon. Justice Bogoro in FHC Lagos, and the Commission will do well not to comment on an issue that is sub judice. And with respect to the putative powers of NERC to remove directors of licensees, the Commission should be reminded that the power was struck down and declared unlawful in the case of FHC/ABJ/653/2018 – Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company v Minister of Power & NERC.”

    Post Views: 620
    BEDC
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleLagos Commissioner resigns over collapsed 7-storey building
    Next Article Police arrests 4 men over attack on Nollywood actor, Steve Eboh
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    The Lagos With 24/7 Electricity Plan Unveiled

    19 May 2026

    Seplat Energy Grows 2026 Q1 Revenue to $840.7m, Gross Profit Hits $370.5m

    30 April 2026

    Oil hits four-year high as US-Iran blockade rattles energy markets

    30 April 2026

    UAE Quits OPEC in Seismic Shift for Global Oil Markets

    28 April 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?