Admin l Monday, February 13, 2023
WASHINGTON – The United States has issued a statement condemning Israel approval of nearly 10,000 new settlements in the occupied West Bank.
In a statement, Secretary of State, Antony J. Blinken the United States is deeply troubled that Israel has began the process to retroactively legalize nine outposts in the west bank that were previously illegal under Israeli law.
“We are deeply troubled by Israel’s decision yesterday to advance reportedly nearly 10,000 settlement units and to begin a process to retroactively legalize nine outposts in the West Bank that were previously illegal under Israeli law”, Blinken said.
According to Blinken, like previous administrations, Democratic and Republican, the US strongly oppose such unilateral measures, which he said exacerbate tensions and undermine the prospects for a negotiated two-state solution.
“We strongly oppose such unilateral measures, which exacerbate tensions and undermine the prospects for a negotiated two-state solution.
“As I have previously stated, anything that takes us away from the vision of two states for two peoples is detrimental to Israel’s long-term security, its identity as a Jewish and democratic state, and to our vision of equal measures of security, freedom, prosperity, and dignity for Israelis and Palestinians alike.
“We call on all parties to avoid additional actions that can further escalate tensions in the region and to take practical steps that can improve the well-being of the Palestinian people”, he said.