Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Health»SOUTH AFRICA HALTS CONSUMPTION OF PACKAGED MEAT, RECALLS PRODUCTS AS MANY DIE OF LISTERIOSIS
    Health

    SOUTH AFRICA HALTS CONSUMPTION OF PACKAGED MEAT, RECALLS PRODUCTS AS MANY DIE OF LISTERIOSIS

    starconnectBy starconnect6 March 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    President Cyril Ramaphosa
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Admin l Tuesday, March 06, 2018

     

    JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – The outbreak of food borne disease, Listeriosis in South Africa is a source of concern to the African National Congress(ANC) following the announcement by the Minister of Health, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi attributing the source to Enterprise food-production facility in Polokwane and Germiston.




    So far, not less than 180 people have been killed, 78 of these are infants, while products in this categories have been recalled. They include Polony, Viennas, Russians, Frankfurters, Sausages, and other “cold meat.

    Dr Aaron Motsoaledi confirmed the development on Sunday, 04 March 2018, forcing the ANC to call on the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) to urgently initiate an investigation at various identified food production factories in order to ascertain and establish whether the packaging material used in those products is not substandard and that it conforms to the basic standards of hygiene.

    “These food production factories should ensure that the standard of packaging is not of inferior quality; chasing lower production prices at the expense of innocent lives.

     
    “Whilst the disease is serious but treatable and preventable, the ANC is highly disturbed by the high number of fatalities as a result of the disease. To us, one death is too many. It is for this reason that we make a call to the people of South Africa to remain vigilant and visit health centres as and when they experience the symptoms for immediate treatment. We also urge members of the public to follow the advice given by the Department to avoid all processed meat products that are sold as “ready-to-eat” in order to prevent the spread of the disease”, the ANC said

     

    The ANC welcomed the recall of products that are implicated such as; Polony, Viennas, Russians, Frankfurters, Sausages, and other “cold meat” products that are not cooked before use.

     
    “We urge the Department of Health and the Department of Labour to undertake regular visits of all factories dealing with the production of food products to ascertain their conformity of the relevant legislation around health and employment.

     
    “In order to decisively deal with the disease and prevent the loss of lives, the ANC urges all South Africans to promote a healthy lifestyle and abide by the food-safety rules; washing hands before handling food, eating well cooked meals, isolate raw food from cooked food, ensure that food is at an appropriate temperature, washing non-cooked food with clean running water, and using boiled milk products”, it said, and sends its sincere condolences to the families of those who lost their lives due to the disease.

    “We also extend our sympathies to friends and colleagues of the victims and further joins the call for the Department of Basic Education to apply extra measures to curb the outbreak at Schools. In the coming days, the ANC will meet with the relevant stakeholders in this debacle and undertake visits to implicated factories including engagement with informal traders who mostly sell these ready-to-eat products to further raise levels of awareness around food safety”, the ANC said.

    Post Views: 810
    Listeriosis Recalled packaged food
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleOPL 245: NANS, P-PESPI BACK AGF, SAYS LITIGATION AN EMBARRASSMENT TO PRESIDENCY
    Next Article N39 MN FRAUD: COURT REMANDS KABIRU, BUREAU DE CHANGE OPERATOR IN CUSTODY
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​THE NEXT VIRAL FRONTIER: WHO SOUNDS ALARM OVER ‘VERY HIGH’ EBOLA BUNDIBUGYO RISK IN DRC AND UGANDA

    23 May 2026

    Ebola Toll Jumps in D.R. Congo as Lack of Vaccine Imperils Containment Efforts

    19 May 2026

    Global Alarm as WHO Declares Ebola Emergency in DRC and Uganda Over Rare, Vaccine-Resistant Strain

    18 May 2026

    ​Undercover Footage Captures Senior J&J Scientist Questioning COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Trials

    6 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?