Titus Eleweke, South East Editor
AWKA, Anambra – The Governor of Anambra State, Prof. Charles Soludo, has issued a stern warning to traders and institutions across the state, declaring that his administration will take decisive legal measures to halt what he described as deliberate economic sabotage.
Speaking to journalists while clarifying the controversy surrounding the recent one-week closure of the Awka Main Market, Governor Soludo said he would not hesitate to revoke the Certificates of Occupancy (C of O) of markets that continue to defy lawful government directives.
He warned that the Onitsha Main Market, as well as any other market, school, or institution that refuses to operate on officially designated working days, risks closure or outright takeover by the state government.
The governor said that under the Land Use Act, he possesses the constitutional authority to revoke Certificates of Occupancy for both public and privately managed markets when such action is warranted by overriding public interest.
“If I revoke the Certificate of Occupancy and bulldoze the market, I will pay compensation. That is exactly what the law requires,” Soludo stated.
He further warned that traders who persist in shutting down markets could face stiffer sanctions, including the closure of such markets for the remainder of the year.
“We are not afraid of litigation in Anambra State. Bring your lawyers, and we will bring our Senior Advocates ,quite a number of them,” he declared.
According to the governor, the Onitsha Main Market remains the property of the Anambra State Government, noting that under the Land Use Act, all land whether privately or publicly held—ultimately vests in the government.
“The Main Market is the property of the Anambra State Government. Under the Land Use Act, even private land belongs to the government. I will revoke it, pay compensation as required by law, and if you are dissatisfied, we will meet in court,” he said.
Soludo stressed that his authority to take over such properties in the interest of the public good is sacrosanct, adding that all affected parties would be duly compensated with cheques, in line with legal provisions.
The governor also announced that within the next two weeks, the state government would commence a comprehensive recertification exercise for shop owners, revealing that many current occupants are operating without valid authorization.
He disclosed that the government has begun taking attendance of traders who opened their shops on Mondays, in collaboration with market line leaders. Shops found closed, he said, would be marked and subjected to sanctions ranging from fines and sealing to outright takeover by the state.
“Any shop that does not open will be marked. We will either impose fines or seal the shops and take them over. This madness must end. We have endured it for over five years,” Soludo said.
Recalling his visit to Onitsha on Monday, the governor expressed concern that while streets, stadiums, and other public spaces were teeming with commercial and social activities, the Onitsha Main Market remained shut, allegedly due to insecurity.
He questioned the logic of keeping the market closed when other parts of the city were vibrant, active, and operating without fear.
“During the Christmas period, all the markets were open, including Sundays and Mondays. Immediately after Christmas, they suddenly claim the markets must be locked again,” he added.
Soludo reiterated that the widely observed “sit-at-home” practice had officially ended nearly two years ago.
He noted that every Monday, Anambra State,particularly Onitsha comes alive with people exercising, trading on the streets, holding meetings, attending church programs, and engaging in other economic and social activities, yet shops remain closed.
“Previously, sit-at-home meant staying indoors,no walking, no football, no family meetings. What we see now is no longer sit-at-home; it is laziness disguised as tradition,” he said.
The governor accused certain groups of attempting to redefine the economic calendar of Anambra State and the South-East by restricting business activities to only four working days a week.
“You are trying to tell Anambra State that it is open for business only from Tuesday,four days a week instead of six. It cannot happen , especially now that investors are coming into the state.This is criminal sabotage against the economy of Anambra State,” Soludo said.
He vowed that the government would confront the situation using every legal instrument available.
“This is deliberate economic sabotage, and we will fight it with everything the law permits,” he added.
Soludo further disclosed that his administration had long developed a master plan for a new maintenance market but chose instead to construct additional markets to accommodate those who might be affected by enforcement actions.
He warned that any state that loses 20 per cent of its productive days every week is bound to suffer severe collateral economic damage.
According to him, the ongoing struggle is ultimately for the soul of the Anambra people—especially the poor, who depend on daily earnings for survival.

