Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Rejects Businessman Ufoma Joseph Immanuel Bail, Dismisses Objection

    23 May 2026

    Aroma Electrocution Scare:Anambra Newspaper Vendor Recounts Miraculous Escape

    23 May 2026

    Excellent Father, Woeful Husband” — Jim Iyke Opens Up About the Heartbreaking Reality Behind His Failed Marriage

    23 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Business»Oil & Gas»OPL245: ENI says it’s not obligated to know destination of funds paid to Malabu by Nigeria
    Oil & Gas

    OPL245: ENI says it’s not obligated to know destination of funds paid to Malabu by Nigeria

    starconnectBy starconnect3 August 2020Updated:3 August 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    ENI says OPL245 development would benefit Nigerians
    Eni explains its fairness in OPL245 deal with Nigeria
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Says OPL245 development would benefit Nigerians

    Admin l Monday, August 03, 2020

    LAGOS, Nigeria – International oil major, Eni (Nigerian Agip Oil Company) has said that it was not under obligation to know the destination of funds paid to Malabu Oil & Gas by the Nigerian Government in respect acquisition of Oil Prospecting Licence 245 (OPL245).

    OPL 245, according to Eni covers a defined deep-water offshore area (over 1,000 m bsl), approximately 150 km off the Niger Delta.

    OPL 1

    On 29 April 1998, the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN), under the late General Sani Abacha awarded OPL 245 to the Nigerian company Malabu Oil & Gas Ltd., which counted Dan Etete,  then Minister of Petroleum Resources, among its shareholders.

    The signature bonus was set at $20 million. During the same period, the FGN awarded other prospecting licences to Nigerian companies, also with a signature bonus of around $20 million: OPL 246 to South Atlantic Petroleum, OPL 247 to Heritage Oil, and OPL 248 to Zebra Energy.

    Nigeria’s then Defence Minister, General Theophilus Danjuma, Eni revealed had interests in South Atlantic Petroleum, which he later sold to Total and other investors.

    Read also, FBI REACTS TO CYBER ATTACK ON TWITTER ACCOUNTS

    Previously, in 1991, the OPL 216 licence had been awarded to BP and Statoil (now Equinor), and was then claimed back by the FGN and awarded to Famfa Oil Ltd. instead.

    All the exploration blocks, including Block 245, Eni claimed were awarded in accordance with the Indigenous Concession Programme (ICP), launched by the FGN in 1991 to encourage Nigerian companies to play a role in the country’s oil industry in view of local entrepreneurial development, as claimed by Professor Fidelis Oditah, Eni’s expert witness for the trial pending at the Court of Milan, without “substantial objections by the public prosecutor”.

    In a statement, Eni said the contractual terms and the historical evolution of the local and international oil market does not  require it to know the destination of the funds paid to the Malabu Oil & Gas by the Nigerian Government.

    Besides, the company claimed that  the payment was authorized by the British anti-money laundering authorities and that the allegation of bribes to Eni managers were denied by witnesses and experts in the courtroom, as well as by the Finance Guard itself in 2016.

    “As part of the transaction, Eni complied with internal procedures, international best practices and implemented any industrial, economic and process verification”, the company said, and that these are the key facts it demonstrated in the dossier, with documentation and subpoena of supporting facts.

    Eni noted that the development of OPL245 would have brought and would bring great economic and social benefits to the Nigerian people and that it corresponded directly to the Nigerian Government a fair and reasonable consideration with respect to the characteristics of the concession.

    But in March 2013, the Italian NGO (non-governmental organisation) Re:Common, the British NGO The Corner House, the British/American NGO Global Witness, and Dotun Oloko, a Nigerian citizen based in the UK filed petitions with the Department of Justice (DoJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in the US, as well as with the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) in London, UK, requesting an investigation into the acquisition of the OPL 245 block by the oil companies Eni and Shell.

    In September 2013, the same NGOs sent the petition to the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Milan, requesting probe of the deal.

    But not long ago, the Department of Justice (DoJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)  closed all their investigations without taking any action against the company.

    Eni has also substantiated its fairness in the deal in a documentary supporting accurate internal investigations carried out on several occasions by independent third parties, which it said had in the past confirmed the correctness of the operation.

    You can see the dossier supporting proof of its fairness  here

    Eni reiterates total alienation of its own and that of its management with respect to the trial charges, and trusts that the truth can be re-established as soon as possible by the Judicial Court.

    Post Views: 932
    ENI Malabu Oil & gas OPL245
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleLet us serve the people of the Niger Delta, NDDC appeals to trouble makers
    Next Article Regina Daniels delivers spectacular looks, seductive charm even after child birth
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    UAE Quits OPEC in Seismic Shift for Global Oil Markets

    28 April 2026

    Crude prices pull back from $116 peak as markets weigh Middle East supply risk

    19 March 2026

    ​MAJOR GAS PRODUCERS, Iran and Nigeria Eye Deeper Collaboration

    22 October 2025

    From wellhead to pump: Experts call for end-to-end digitalization of Nigeria’s Oil and Gas Industry

    25 September 2025
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Rejects Businessman Ufoma Joseph Immanuel Bail, Dismisses Objection

    23 May 2026

    Aroma Electrocution Scare:Anambra Newspaper Vendor Recounts Miraculous Escape

    23 May 2026

    Excellent Father, Woeful Husband” — Jim Iyke Opens Up About the Heartbreaking Reality Behind His Failed Marriage

    23 May 2026

    ​STREETS OF FEAR: Stamford Hill hate monster jailed after terrorizing Jewish community and smashing up car

    23 May 2026

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    Alleged $1.5m Fraud: Court Rejects Businessman Ufoma Joseph Immanuel Bail, Dismisses Objection

    23 May 2026

    Aroma Electrocution Scare:Anambra Newspaper Vendor Recounts Miraculous Escape

    23 May 2026

    Excellent Father, Woeful Husband” — Jim Iyke Opens Up About the Heartbreaking Reality Behind His Failed Marriage

    23 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?