Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026

    ​NDDC Boss Targets Efficiency, Transparency via Institutional Reforms

    23 May 2026

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»Judiciary»N4.8 billion alleged fraud: Court fixes April 15 to hear Chief Cletus Ibeto
    Judiciary

    N4.8 billion alleged fraud: Court fixes April 15 to hear Chief Cletus Ibeto

    starconnectBy starconnect11 March 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Headquarters of the EFCC
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Admin I Monday, March 11, 2024

     

    IKEJA, Nigeria – A Lagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos has fixed April 15, 2024 to hear applications filed by counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC in the petition against businessman, Chief Cletus Ibeto over alleged N4.8 billion fraud.

    Justice Oyindamola Ogala fixed the date as agreed by parties  to enable her study the case file properly. Ogala also directed counsels to file and exchange their responses to the application filed by the office the  Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) before April 15.

     “I  want to read the case file  and understand it in full. As agreed by all, I want all of us to respond and to be on the same lane.”

    However, during the hearing,  the DPP, Dr Babajide Martins announced his appearance on behalf of the Lagos State Attorney-General, party, intending to take over the case. 

    The Defence Counsel, Mr Ade Oshodi had informed the court of a notice of preliminary objection dated January 26  yet to come up for hearing and that the application which was filed by the former counsel to the defendant, Mr Ikpeazu  (SAN), be withdrawn, since has  taken over the case and filed a fresh application dated January 26,.2024

    He informed the court that  it was Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN)  that appealed the bench warrant   issued  against  the defendant by  Justice Ismail Ijelu on Nov.3, 2023.

    “Mr Lord, it is the learned silk, Chief  Wole Olanipekun (SAN)  that appealed on the bench warrant. We are not in the matter going on at the appeal court. The learned silk is the one handling the appeal. The Chamber of Robert Clarke  wrote a petition to the office of the Attorney-General of Lagos State concerning this case”, he said. 

    Earlier, counsel to the EFCC, Mr Rotimi Jacob (SAN)  told the court that he was yet to be served hearing notice to the effect that the matter had been taken to another court, stressing that it was not a deliberate attempt not to appear before the court.

    He was thereafter informed of the existence of  affidavits of proof of service on the prosecution. Jacob told the court that several lawyers   who  had represented the defendant raised issue of territorial jurisdiction.

    “We were at the court of appeal on January 15 on the territorial jurisdiction. As at last week, the defendant has paid  N1.5 billion to EFCC and he promised to conclude the payment in the next three months. The state said they are taking over the case but they have not even heard from  us,” he said.

    In his response,  Martins  explained that from the point of law, the DPP acted on the directive of the AG and that the prosecution has been served with the Amicus brief filed by the office.

    “The Amicus brief filed by the office of the AG dated and filed on February 29, 2024 made available to our correspondence is to the effect that the Court should strike out the matter for lacking both territorial and actual jurisdiction.

    “The DPP does not need permission to swing into action. My lord, this is an everyday occurrence  as people write  to the office of the AG to take up  matters and it does not mean that the AG  is taking sides with anyone,” he said.

    EFCC had filed a 10-count charge against Ibeto, alongside his company, Ibeto Energy Development Company, before Justice Ismail Ijelu. The case file was, therefore, re-assigned to Justice Ogala court. 

    The anti-graft commission said the alleged offences contravened the provision of Section 1 of the Advance Fee Fraud Act 2006 and Section 365(3d) and (e), 366 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. 

    Justice Ogala has adjourned to April 15 to hear the applications.

    Post Views: 946
    Cletus Ibeto
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleLufthansa to cancel 1000 flights over strikes
    Next Article Bayer Leverkusen beats Wolfsburg 2-0 to keep hope alive
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026

    China Coal Mine Explosion Kills at Least 90 in Deadliest Blast in Over a Decade

    23 May 2026

    Murder of Teacher Oyedokun: A Public Execution of National Conscience — Human Rights Lawyer Ejiofor

    23 May 2026

    ​Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief, Citing Husband’s Cancer Diagnosis

    23 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026

    ​NDDC Boss Targets Efficiency, Transparency via Institutional Reforms

    23 May 2026

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026

    Lagos Records 61.52% Success in WASSCE

    23 May 2026

    China Coal Mine Explosion Kills at Least 90 in Deadliest Blast in Over a Decade

    23 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026

    ​NDDC Boss Targets Efficiency, Transparency via Institutional Reforms

    23 May 2026

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?