London – A man, Wayne Briggs, 43 of Low Lane, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria has received an extended sentence at Isleworth Crown Court on Thursday, 10 November, having previously pleaded guilty to two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
He was sentenced to 12 years and six months’ imprisonment and was told he would spend a further five years on licence upon his release.
He was also told that he would be subject of a stringent Sexual Harm Prevention Order following his release.
Briggs was arrested by Cumbria Police on direction from detectives from the Met’s Sexual Offences Exploitation and Child Abuse Command after an allegation was made to Hampshire Police.
On Monday, 25 April, officers were informed that Briggs had raped a 15-year-old girl at a hotel close to Heathrow Airport three days earlier. Detectives launched an investigation and recovered CCTV footage and forensic evidence.
Briggs was arrested on 26 April and denied the allegation throughout interview. During the investigation, officers received a further allegation that Briggs had committed serious sexual offences several years earlier against a second female victim – another girl under the age of 16.
He was charged and initially pleaded not guilty at Isleworth Crown Court on 31 May.
Detective Constable Paul Trueman, said: “Briggs is a dangerous man. He attacked two young girls and during the early stage of the investigation, it was clear that he thought he would get away with these crimes.
“This case involved close liaison with colleagues across the country in order to obtain as much physical evidence as possible, as well as substantial background material. The strength of the evidence against Briggs meant that he had no other option but to plead guilty to these serious sexual offences.
“I would encourage anyone who has been the victim of a sexual assault, no matter the period of time that has passed, to contact officers so that it can be thoroughly investigated.” Briggs pleaded guilty on Monday, 10 October.