Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»I’m vindicated, says Onasanya as court throws out loan controversy case
    News

    I’m vindicated, says Onasanya as court throws out loan controversy case

    starconnectBy starconnect23 July 2025Updated:23 July 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Former Group Managing Director of FirstBank Nigeria, Dr Olabisi Onasanya
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Admin I Wednesday, July 23, 2025

     

    LAGOS, Nigeria – Former Group Managing Director of FirstBank Nigeria, Dr Olabisi Onasanya, has said he is now vindicated after the Federal High Court in Lagos struck out the controversial loan-related case involving his name.

    Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke of the Federal High Court, Lagos on Wednesday, July 23, 2025 struck out the case after the anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, withdrew the suit following an out-of-court settlement among the parties involved including the nominal complainant (First bank of Nigeria PLC), the erstwhile Chairman of the Bank, Oba Otudeko, who is the first defendant, and his Anchorage Leisure Limited standing as the fourth defendant as well as the intervention of the office of the Attorney General of the federation.

    Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), the counsel to the prosecution, the EFCC, said the withdrawal of the suit was consequent on the confirmation of the repayment of the controversial loan by the defence and the intervention by the office of the Attorney General of the Federation.

    Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, appearing for the prosecution, further informed the Court that the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) received a formal request to discontinue the matter.

    He noted that on 16th July 2025, First Bank of Nigeria (FBN), the nominal complainant, wrote to the AGF confirming that a settlement had been reached with the 1st Defendant (Oba Otudeko) and that the Counsel to the 1st Defendant similarly wrote to the AGF, confirming the settlement.

    ‘’Subsequently, by a letter dated 21st July 2025, FBN formally communicated its decision to no longer pursue the allegations against the Defendants. Following a thorough review of the representations by both the nominal complainant and the First defendant, and since the funds in question had been fully recovered and returned to the Bank’s treasury, the Honourable AGF considered it appropriate on grounds of justice, public policy, and to prevent abuse of legal process to withdraw the charge subject to Section 108 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015, we hereby move a motion to withdraw the case,” Oyedepo told the court.

    Bode Olanipekun (SAN), the counsel to the first defendant, did not object to the withdrawal, confirming the settlement between the nominal complainant (First Bank) and his client, the first defendant (Oba Otudeko).

    Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN), the counsel for Onasanya, told the court, “My lord, I have no objection to the withdrawal. I attended the first meeting of the parties with the AGF (Attorney General of the Federation) and I affirmed that the matter was strictly between the nominal complainant, which is the First Bank and the first defendant (Otudeko). I am happy that the matter has now been resolved among them, and I thank all the parties for resolving it.”

    With no objection to the withdrawal of the suit by any of the parties, Justice Aneke declared the suit ‘struck out’.

    Speaking to journalists after the case was dismissed, Michael Osunnuyi, Media Advisor to the retired banker, strongly affirmed Onasanya’s innocence and said he had always been determined to clear his name.

    “He’s completely vindicated. From the beginning, we have maintained that he did nothing wrong. He was not actively involved in the approval process for the transaction, as investigated by the EFCC about eight years ago. Dr Onasanya has never taken part in any form of fraud in his over three decades of service in the Nigerian financial sector,” Osunnuyi said.

    Osunnuyi said his principal demonstrated his innocence by voluntarily presenting himself to the court at each sitting to prove that he had nothing to hide.

    Onasanya, who retired voluntarily as FirstBank Group managing Director in 2015 after years of meritorious service, said the case had been particularly painful because of the attempted damage to his legacy.

    “Dr Onasanya’s reputation is everything to him. He built a name in banking and corporate governance through dedication, discipline, professionalism and integrity. That’s why he didn’t run. That’s why he always came to court to defend his name and to uphold the values he has always believed in. Let it be known that Dr Onasanya will continue to defend himself where necessary and will not succumb to the antics of mischief makers who target him in the advancement of their aggrandisement,” Osunnuyi said.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Post Views: 428
    Bisi Onasanya
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleFormer Kenyan PM Raila Odinga urges African nations to uphold democracy amid the threat of populism in the West.
    Next Article Human rights lawyer slams Edo Governor over threat to bar Peter Obi from entering state
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026

    Lagos Empowers 1000 Creatives To Accelerate Economic Growth

    24 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026

    Lagos Empowers 1000 Creatives To Accelerate Economic Growth

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?