Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The ₦1trn Food Security, Wealth Fund for Lagosians

    23 May 2026

    ​Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief, Citing Husband’s Cancer Diagnosis

    23 May 2026

    BRITAIN-BOUND: NDDC Huge Drive to Send Top Talents to UK Universities

    22 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»Tourism»Hospitality»German community mourns owner, one other killed in collapsed hotel
    Hospitality

    German community mourns owner, one other killed in collapsed hotel

    starconnectBy starconnect11 August 2024Updated:12 August 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    A long excavator begins demolition work on the gable of the hotel in Kröv, which collapsed on Tuesday evening, in order to find a missing person. Photo: Harald Tittel/dpa
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    By Birgit Reichert, dpa I Sunday, August 11, 2024

     

    KROV – Residents, relatives and rescue workers gathered for a memorial service in the western German village of Kröv on Sunday to commemorate those killed in a hotel collapse.

    Two people, a 64-year-old woman and the 59-year-old hotel owner, died when the multi-storey hotel in the village about 100 kilometres west of Frankfurt collapsed with 14 people inside on Tuesday evening.

    Participants at the service, held in the parish garden of the local church, observed moments of silence and prayed for a 26-year-old Dutch man who was severely injured and placed in an induced coma.

    “We trust that he will fully recover,” the man’s father, Auke Hoefnagel, said in an address after the service.

    Police said earlier on Sunday that the man’s condition “isn’t good.”

    The man, his 23-year-old wife and their 2-year-old son were among seven people trapped in the rubble for several hours before rescue workers were able to free them.

    Five people were able to escape the site immediately.

    Funds raised for Dutch family

    A crowdfunding campaign set up following the collapse raised some €54,000 ($59,000) for the Dutch family by Sunday.

    Donations poured in quickly, particularly from the predominantly Christian municipality of Urk in the north-western Netherlands where the family lives, according to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

    The money is intended to pay for a helicopter flight to bring the seriously injured man back for further treatment in his home country, the campaign’s organizers were quoted as saying by news agency ANP.

    As the family reportedly didn’t have insurance for travel emergencies, the funds are also intended to replace their lost belongings and cover other costs.

    Village coming together

    The father of the Dutch woman thanked the many first responders in attendance at the service. “You’re heroes,” he said.

    The gathering was intended to help people process the tragedy, police chaplain Hubertus Kesselheim said.

    “Of course there is a lot of sadness in the village,” said Mayor Desire Beth. The family owning the hotel is popular, she added.

    “We are a village of 2,300 inhabitants, so everyone knows everyone. In a place like this, people celebrate together, but also stand together in times of crisis,” the mayor said.

    Clean-up efforts continued on Sunday, with debris and rubble still being removed from the site, according to a police spokesman.

    He was unable to say how long it would take to demolish the building.

    The cause of the accident is still unclear. The public prosecutor’s office has opened an investigation and commissioned an expert to find out how the accident could have happened.

    Kröv sits on the Moselle River in one of Germany’s top wine-growing regions and is popular with holidaymakers who come to explore the lush hills.

     

     

    Post Views: 719
    Hotel
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleOlaf raps Netanyahu over human suffering in Gaza
    Next Article Hamas calls for implementation of Biden’s ceasefire vision, UNSC resolution
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    Supreme Court Affirms AMCON’s Sale Of Lagos Continental Hotel For N22billion

    15 March 2026

    SUN-SATIONAL DUBAI DEAL: Free Cruises and Art Tours with Emirates Flights!

    11 December 2025

    ISRAEL TOURISM WIPED OUT! War on Gaza Sees Holy Land Cash Drop By £5 BILLION

    1 November 2025

    Nairobi Airport Set for Elevated Experience with New Courtyard by Marriott

    10 October 2025
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    The ₦1trn Food Security, Wealth Fund for Lagosians

    23 May 2026

    ​Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief, Citing Husband’s Cancer Diagnosis

    23 May 2026

    BRITAIN-BOUND: NDDC Huge Drive to Send Top Talents to UK Universities

    22 May 2026

    Interswitch Unveils Digital Forecourt Suite with ‘Pay-As-You-Want’ Capability at NNPC Retail Transformation Summit

    22 May 2026

    Hamzat Vows To Work For All Lagosians After Landslide Victory In APC Guber Primary

    22 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    The ₦1trn Food Security, Wealth Fund for Lagosians

    23 May 2026

    ​Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief, Citing Husband’s Cancer Diagnosis

    23 May 2026

    BRITAIN-BOUND: NDDC Huge Drive to Send Top Talents to UK Universities

    22 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?