Five out of the thirteen students of Ogba Junior Grammar School hospitalized at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital(LASUTH) after inhaling poisonous gas during school hours have been discharged from the hospital.
We gathered that the remaining 8 are still under close observation in the hospital and may be discharged by Monday, even as the victims continue to recall their ordeal after inhaling the substance.
Miss Omolade Ogunghamigbe, a JSS 2 student said that the gaseous substance was discharged 30 minutes into the launch break. “It was one of the student in JSS 2A who first inhaled the poisonous fume. Just few minutes later it had enveloped the whole block. First, we all thought the fume was from a canister because the Area G police command was few meters away from our school.
“We all gathered at the ground floor of the building waiting for the gas to subside, when one of the students in JSS 2A, identified as Lateefat collapsed. Few seconds later, other students began to follow suit; that was when we raised the alarm. Others slumped, I didn’t but I had challenge breathing and began to experience stomach ache,” she added.
She said that she woke up only to discover that people were fanning her before she was rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
“I don’t know when I slumped. But the last thing I could remember was the few minutes I spent at the Caterpillar Bus Stop, Ogba, while waiting for bus,” she continued, adding “My friend told me that I fainted at the Bus Stop. It was my friends who hired a taxi cab that took me to the hospital.”
Another victims who simply identified herself as Adefisayo , said she was playing during the break when she perceived the suffocating whiff.
“I perceived some odour I could not comprehend. I developed stomach ache and I suddenly fell down and I woke up to find myself in the hospital.
Some of the students still hospitalized were: Tijani Mariam, Subaidat Oladokun, Adebiyi taiwo, Muiz Rodiat, Onaigbe Blessing, karimat Akiode, Rasak Gbolahan, Modupe Idowu, Titilope Idimu, Alhassan Salamot and Yusuf Salamot.
Speaking to journalists at LASUTH, Mr. Oladokun, father to Zubaidat Oladokun explained that they have been informed that the students cannot be discharged until Monday, when they would have completed the necessary medical test on them.
He lamented that the Lagos State Government was yet to release the result of the test carried out last year on 25 students who were affected by a similar foul smell in the school.
“Some of students affected by the gas leakage yesterday were also affected last year”, he said and called on the Lagos State Government to take urgent measures to address incident of gas leaks in and around the school.