Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026

    ​NDDC Boss Targets Efficiency, Transparency via Institutional Reforms

    23 May 2026

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»Five killed in Borno, Gombe, 34 others injured as explosion rocks end hunger protest
    News

    Five killed in Borno, Gombe, 34 others injured as explosion rocks end hunger protest

    starconnectBy starconnect2 August 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Admin I Tuesday, August 02, 2024

    BORNO- At least four people protesting for an end to bad governance and hunger have been killed in Borno, while about 34 others were injured, in addition to a  policeman who has been confirmed dead and some of his colleagues injured in  Gombe during the ongoing protest.

    Inspector General of Police, IGP Kayode Egbetokun, who was addressing a press conference in Abuja said the explosion that killed the four people tore through the midst of the peaceful protest.

    He said all four protesters died instantly.

    “We alerted earlier on that terror elements may take advantage of the protests to infiltrate the crowd of protesters with suicide bombers.

    ” Yesterday in Lagos, our EOD team was informed of a suspected IED on Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja.

    “The team responded swiftly and rendered safe what turned out to be an improvised explosive device (IED)”, he said.

    “Today in Borno State, we recorded one incident of explosion which occurred in the crowd of protesters killing 4 instantly and severely injuring 34 others, many of whom are presently on danger list”, he said.

    He said that upon several indications by various groups of their intent to commence the nationwide protest on 1st August, 2024, the police rolled out several warnings based on actionable intelligence at its disposal indicating that some groups were mobilizing our youths for violent protests with intent to create anarchy in the country.

    “While some groups claiming to be mobilizing for peaceful protests were doing so with violent undertones refusing to cooperate with the Police on measures to be taken to guarantee peaceful protest.

    “On the basis of these intelligence, the Police advised that the protests should be shelved at the instant time. Where the organizers insisted on going on with the protests, they were advised to stage the protest in confined locations.

    “This would have enabled the police provide adequate protection for the protesters and isolate the criminals whose intention was to loot and destroy in the name of a protest.

    “This we were doing in furtherance of our duty to protect lives and property and maintaining law and order.

    “While we affirmed the constitutional rights of citizens to assemble and express their views on issues of national importance, we were wary about the dangers posed by agitation instigated by some individuals who have shown tendencies to be disloyal to the government of the day”, he said.

    He explained that despite suspicions, the police showed good faith through professional conduct by providing security at strategic locations all aimed at ensuring peaceful conduct during the protest as the promoters pledged.

    “Our men deployed nationwide went out with a clear brief to ensure that no one is unnecessarily harassed or intimidated. In places where there were court orders, we gave instructions for observance of same.

    “Regrettably, events in some major cities today showed that what was being instigated was mass uprising and looting, not protest.

    “Those who were in the forefront of promoting the idea of the protest were not around to lead it. Hoodlums have been let loose on innocent Nigerians and their hard-earned businesses and property looted and destroyed. The motive of the rioters was basically two; loot and destroy both private and government property.

    “The destruction so far has been mind-boggling. There has been destruction in Kano, Borno, Yobe, Kaduna, Gombe, Bauchi, FCT Abuja, Niger, Jigawa. Police stations have been destroyed, there has been attempts to take over government houses, looting of government infrastructures, several warehouses and shops have so far been looted and, in several instances, completely destroyed.

    ” In spite of the refusal of the protesters, for instance in FCT to adhere to a court order requesting that protest in Abuja should be at the National Stadium, they trooped into the streets, and yet the police provided security for them. At no point did we breach their fundamental rights even as they breached court order.

    “In places like FCT, Kaduna, Kano and Gombe, among others, we recorded incidents of unprovoked attacks on security personnel, where one policeman has been reported murdered and others seriously injured”.

    Post Views: 715
    protest
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleNigeria had the best years under military, democracy made things worst – IBB
    Next Article Danjuma speaks as Falconets intensify preparations ahead of Colombia 2024  
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026

    China Coal Mine Explosion Kills at Least 90 in Deadliest Blast in Over a Decade

    23 May 2026

    Murder of Teacher Oyedokun: A Public Execution of National Conscience — Human Rights Lawyer Ejiofor

    23 May 2026

    ​Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief, Citing Husband’s Cancer Diagnosis

    23 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026

    ​NDDC Boss Targets Efficiency, Transparency via Institutional Reforms

    23 May 2026

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026

    Lagos Records 61.52% Success in WASSCE

    23 May 2026

    China Coal Mine Explosion Kills at Least 90 in Deadliest Blast in Over a Decade

    23 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    The unwritten rules of a true democracy

    23 May 2026

    ​NDDC Boss Targets Efficiency, Transparency via Institutional Reforms

    23 May 2026

    ​CAUGHT IN ACTION: Digital predator jailed for 10 years after Met cops ambush him at ‘meeting’ with child

    23 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?