Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»Court rejects EFCC’s request to arraign Yahaya Bello without his counsel, adjourns to Dec 13
    News

    Court rejects EFCC’s request to arraign Yahaya Bello without his counsel, adjourns to Dec 13

    starconnectBy starconnect29 November 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Former Governor of Kogi State, Mr. Yahaya Bello in Court in Abuja. With him is his lawyer
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

     

    Admin I Friday, November 29, 2024

    ABUJA, Nigeria – A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja today adjourned sitting on the alleged N80bn fraud charge against the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, to December 13, 2024 for the Motion for abridgment and possible arraignment.

    Justice Emeka Nwite adjourned the sitting in the interest of fair hearing, noting that the matter had been originally adjourned to January 21, 2025.

    When the matter was called on Friday, the former Governor was asked why his lawyers were not in court. He said he was only informed of the sitting late Thursday night and so could not contact his lawyers to be at the court.

    The EFCC Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, insisted that the Defendant’s plea be taken.

    “What the law requires is the presence of the Defendant, not the presence of his lawyers,” he argued. But the judge declined.

    While delivering a short ruling, Justice Nwite said, “The matter came up on the 30th of October 2024. It was adjourned to 21st January 2025. From the statement of the Defendant, his Lawyers are not aware of today’s date. In the interest of fair hearing, I will not proceed for arraignment.

    “The prosecution should serve the Defendant’s Lawyer with the application for abridgment of time while we come back to take that.

    “This matter is peculiar. It is peculiar in the sense that we have already agreed on a date, which is in January. It will be unfair if the matter is taken without the defendant’s counsel. It would be a different thing if the defendant had no counsel,” the Judge said.

    The Court suggested December 13, 2024 for the Motion for abridgment.

    However, the EFCC counsel applied that the date be for Motion and possible arraignment and that the Court should order that the defendant should remain in EFCC custody till the 13th of December when he is to appear before the Court.

    The judge agreed and so ordered.
    He directed that hearing notices be issued and served on the defendant’s counsel, while the Defendant should remain in the EFCC’s custody till December 13.

    Recall that at the last hearing on October 30, Justice Nwite had adjourned arraignment to January 21, 2025. But the EFCC had applied for the abridgment of the adjourned date initially fixed for arraignment.

    The Defendant’s lawyers were, however, not put on notice.

    Former governor Bello is already in EFCC custody over a fresh N110bn charge before Justice Maryann Anenih of the Federal Capital Territory High Court.

    The ruling on his bail application was adjourned to December 10, while he and his Co-Defendants were to remain in the Commission’s custody till that date.

    Post Views: 405
    Yahaya Bello
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleRussian ambassador summoned over expulsion of German journalists
    Next Article Dr. Femi Olaleye of Optimal Cancer Care acquitted of alleged sexual assault of wife’s niece
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026

    APC Presidential Primary: Tinubu Wins Own Ward L2 In Eti-Osa LG

    23 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026

    APC Presidential Primary: Tinubu Wins Own Ward L2 In Eti-Osa LG

    23 May 2026

    ​THE DRONE RANGERS: Armed gang who shot female passenger and took 13 hostage defeated by high-tech police team in Edo jungle shootout

    23 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​WHITE HOUSE WARZONE: SECRET SERVICE TAKE DOWN GUNMAN IN GUN BATTLE

    24 May 2026

    ​BLOOD IN THE DORM: 21 Dead as Ukraine Missile Blitz Hits Teen School Hostel in Russian-Held Lugansk

    24 May 2026

    ​Breakthrough in Islamabad: U.S. and Iran Agree to Framework Freezing War, Unlocking Assets, and Setting Nuclear Clock

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?