Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»ALLEGED 4 M USD FRAUD: JOHN ABEBE, OBASANJO’S INLAW RELEASED ON BAIL
    News

    ALLEGED 4 M USD FRAUD: JOHN ABEBE, OBASANJO’S INLAW RELEASED ON BAIL

    starconnectBy starconnect2 August 2018Updated:2 August 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Former President of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Admin l Thursday, August 01, 2018

    IKEJA, Lagos, Nigeria – John Abebe, junior brother of late former First Lady, Stella Obasanjo was today temporarily released on bail. Abebe who was arraigned last week was granted bail on liberal terms following application of his defendant that he be granted bail on affordable terms and that he will not jump bail.




    Abebe was arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission(EFCC) on 4 million US Dollars fraud and had been in custody Ikoyi Prison since July 26, 2018.

    Abebe led by former Attorney General of Nigeria, Kanu Agabi(SAN) and 3 other SANS argued that the defendant will not jump bail and that it is for the calibre of the defendants that there are provision for individuals to be granted bail on self recognisance.

    He argued that the defendant is a first time offender and that the bail is however at the discretion of the court of the court and not a right. Responding, the EFCC Prosecutor, Babatunde Sonoiki, said every Nigerian is equal before the law hence the law is perceived to be blind.

    Her lordship, Justice Mojisola Dada of the Special Offences Court had today granted the defendant bail on liberal terms with one surety who must be owner of built up properties in choice areas of Lagos State and gainfully employed. He said that the defendant must submit his international passport with the registrar of the court.

    She however ruled that since the international passport is already in custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC), he is temporarily released on bail. She adjourned the matter till October 23, 24, 25,2018 for continuation of trial.

    Abebe however left the dock, took a bow and joined members of his family. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had arraigned Abebe July 26 on four counts of forgery before the Lagos State Special Offences Court in Ikeja on Thursday. The EFCC, alleged that Abebe, “knowingly forged” a November 30, 1995 letter written by BP Exploration Nigeria Limited to Inducon (Nigeria) Ltd.

    The anti-graft agency alleged that the businessman “illegally inserted” into page 2 of the said letter “the following statement, “Also note that the ‘Buy-Out Option’ only applies to the pre-production stage of the NPIA. The $4m buy-out is thus irrelevant from production of oil in any of our fields.”

    Abebe, EFCC said also attempted to “pervert the course of justice” by tendering the allegedly forged November 30, 1995 letter “as a fabricated evidence” in court, in Suit No. FHC/L/CS/224/2010 between Dr. John Abebe, Inducon Nigeria Limited and Statoil Nigeria Limited.

    The EFCC added that Abebe made an attempt to “mislead the court” by using fabricated evidence, contrary to Section 120 (2) of the Criminal Code Cap C17, Law of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003. The prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, told the court that, Abebe violated Section 126 (2) of the Criminal Code Cap C17, Law of Lagos State of Nigeria 2003.

    Oyedepo added that forgery was a violation of Section 467 of the Criminal Code Cap C17, Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2003. The businessman, however, pleaded not guilty. Justice Mojisola Dada, remanded Abebe in Ikoyi Prison.

    Post Views: 513
    John Abebe
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleAPC APPOINTS YEKINI NABENA NATIONAL PUBLICITY SECRETARY
    Next Article EBOLA RETURNS TO CONGO DR AS 4 TEST POSITIVE
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​MASSACRE IN STAROBELSK: 21 Slain and 63 Maimed as 16 Drones Flatten Student Block

    24 May 2026

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?