Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    Starconnect Media
    Subscribe Login
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    Starconnect Media
    • Home
    • News
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Entertainment
    • Football
    • Media
    • MORE
    Home»News»Leave the road and dialogue, Sanwo-Olu tells #endSARS movement
    News

    Leave the road and dialogue, Sanwo-Olu tells #endSARS movement

    starconnectBy starconnect19 October 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
    Human rights panel sworn in
    Members of the #endSARS movement at Omole, Lagos
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Admin l Monday, October 19, 2020

    MARINA, Nigeria – Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has, again, appealed to the youths demonstrating against police brutality in the State to leave the roads and embrace the dialogue for the resolution of their agitations.

    The Governor, on Monday, said the State Government had shown sincerity and willingness to address all concerns raised by the protesters, given the actions taken so far, including the constitution of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and setting up of compensation funds for the victims.

    Sanwo-Olu made the appeal during the swearing-in of members of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution at the State House in Marina. The Governor’s appeal came on the heel of violent dimension assumed by the EndSARS protests in some parts of the State.

    Reiterating his solidarity with the protesters’ demands, Sanwo-Olu said the pain expressed and concerns raised were genuine and legitimate. This, he said, prompted the Federal and States’ governments to immediately acquiesce to some of the demands, while setting process in motion to implement others changes demanded.

    The Governor urged the protesters to be part of the process of implementing the reforms they clamoured for in the police, stressing that continuous blocking of roads, Government and private offices would slow down the procedure of implementing their demands.

    He said: “We have shown unprecedented commitment to the complete overhaul of the Nigerian Police. The inauguration of this Judicial Panel of Inquiry is only the first step in a long line of reformative actions that will lead to a thorough revamp and reorientation of the Nigeria Police. I believe that some of the actions we have taken should, to a large extent, show our sincerity and willingness to address all your concerns.

    “Let me reiterate that I am on the side of the young people out there. I understand your pain and I know your concerns are genuine and legitimate. While we are able to immediately acquiesce to some of your demands, some others will require time. We ask you to bear with us as we dutifully work on your demands.

    “I will, therefore, like to renew my appeal to you to suspend the protests and create an atmosphere for the resolution of all pending demands. I encourage everyone brutalised by the disbanded SARS, including the families of those who died, to present their case before this tribunal.”

    Sanwo-Olu said he believed the task of reforming the police was achievable, but required the input and cooperation of the youth to accomplish task. He commended the cohesiveness of the “resilient” young people who stood their ground in the last two weeks. Their tenacity, Sanwo-Olu said, has made the much-desired change in the policing system become inevitable.

    Speaking about the judicial panel, the Governor said he was convinced that its outcome and recommendations would open a new chapter in police-citizen relationship. He promised that the State Government would ensure that all wounds are healed, justice served to victims of abuse, and guilty police officers prosecuted.

    Read also, GOV OBIANO BOWS TO ENDSARS’ DEMAND

    At the time of the swearing in of the panel members, the representatives of the youth in the panel had not been nominated by the protesters.

    The State Government, last Friday, reached out to the protesters to forward the name of their nominees into the judicial panel. The protesters, however, pleaded for more time to send the names of their nominees, four days after the Government’s request.

    Post Views: 552
    #endSARSprotest
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
    Previous ArticleSanwo-Olu inaugurates panel on police brutality, human rights violations
    Next Article How power slipped from Goodluck Jonathan – Reuben Abati
    starconnect
    • Website
    • X (Twitter)

    Related Posts

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026

    Lagos Empowers 1000 Creatives To Accelerate Economic Growth

    24 May 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Ads
    Our Picks

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026

    ​GERMAN REFUGEE PAY-OUT: Berlin Mulls €8,000 ‘Golden Goodbye’ to Send 900,000 Syrians Home

    24 May 2026

    Lagos Empowers 1000 Creatives To Accelerate Economic Growth

    24 May 2026
    About Us
    About Us

    Starconnect Media is your trusted source for timely and relevant news. We are a dynamic news media platform dedicated to delivering accurate, insightful, and engaging content across a wide range of topics.

    Our mission is to keep you informed and connected to the stories that matter, both locally and globally.

    Our Picks

    ​Bombing Targets Military Train in Pakistan, Killing Dozens

    24 May 2026

    ​Russia Strikes Ukraine With Advanced ‘Oreshnik’ Missile After Deadly Attack on Student Dormitory in Luhansk

    24 May 2026

    Foreign Journalists Tour Ruined Luhansk Students Dormitory Following Deadly Ukraine Drone Strike

    24 May 2026
    Ads
    LinkedIn X (Twitter) Instagram
    © 2026 Starconnect Media | All rights reserved. Designed by Adeyinka Adenaike.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    Go to mobile version

    Sign In or Register

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below.

    Lost password?