Starconnect Media
News Top Story

One dead, properties destroyed as fire guts mechanic village

Emmanuel Thomas, Lagos

Ad

September 18, 2015 – A 52 year old man has been recovered dead from a deep well he was working on at 22 Kehinde Amoo Street, Odogunyan Ikorodu, Lagos.

Ad

He was trapped in the well on Thursday but died before he could be reached inside the deep well. This occurred even as fire destroyed properties worth several millions of Naira at mechanic village, besides TISCO Plaza, Agidingbin, Central Business District, Ikeja, behind NUT Pavilion.

The fire according to Director of Fire, Lagos State, Engr. Rasaq Fadipe started at 2am Friday adding that two fire trucks were dispatched to the scene to salvage the situation.

Smokes still ascending into the sky by 8 am Friday
Smokes still ascending into the sky by 8 am Friday

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A fireman combing through the container of car stereos to salvage any good item
A fireman combing through the container of car stereos to salvage any good item

 

 

 

 

Ad

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When our correspondent arrived the scene, smokes of the burnt properties were still bellowing into sky with many wailing over destruction of properties.

Among the items destroyed were generators, container of tyres (used),  a container of car stereo(used)  an expensive machine said to have been installed in the workshop by TISCO valued at N10 million, restaurants and a number of expensive cars.

“One of our colleagues bought a container of tokunbo tyres worth N300,000 but it is all gone with the fire”, one of the mechanics told our correspondent. “TISCO installed an expensive machine worth N10 million but it is gone with the fire”, an elderly mechanic told our reporter, adding that the level of devastation would have been minimized if most of the cars were removed by the owners as soon as work is completed on them.

“Some of the customers are reluctant when you tell them to come and collect their vehicles. Work has been completed on this one, the engine has been started but now the engine has been burnt again”, he said pointing to one of the cars partially affected.

A woman standing by could not console herself .“ I work here”, she said with tears welling up her cheeks.

Fadipe said that prompt deployment of men to the scene saved some of the vehicles, all would have been gone. An officer of the fire service attributed the fire to carelessness on the part of those using the workshop, adding that it was due to electrical fault.

Many of the mechanics and women selling wares gathered in number discussing the situation when our correspondent visited.

 

 

Ad

Related posts

SAKILDA VIDEO: SWAPPED PRISONERS RETURNING TO BOKO HARAM – GROUP

starconnect

NNPC board Chairman tells NLNG shareholders to make more money from gas

starconnect

LASG makes u-turn, reverses 10% charge per trips on Uber, others

starconnect

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy