A pregnant woman and five others were electrocuted at Oworonshoki area of Lagos State, Nigeria in the early hours of Thursday morning.
We gathered that the incident occurred when a live cable belonging to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria(PHCN) fell on a vehicle laden with 50 litres of Premium Motor Spirits(PMS) which exploded setting the environment on fire.
Reacting to the incident, General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, (LASEMA), Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu said the incident occurred at 6 and 8 of Onabanjo Street and that a Power Holding Company of Nigeria cable sparked when power was restored at about 2.20 AM.
He said the spark was so forceful that it detached one of the live cables from the pole and landed on a vehicle laden with 50 litres of PMS.
He said the incident caused panic among residents adding that the deceased who were running for safety stepped on the live wire and were electrocuted on the spot. He explained that six lives were lost, saying that the police and others were on ground to restore normalcy.
Also reacting to the incident, Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe said those who died are two female, including a pregnant woman and three teenagers adding that nearby buildings were not affected by the fire.
But in his reaction, General Secretary, Council of Oworonshoki Youth Forum, Mr. Kabiawu Babajide blamed PHCN for not switching off power when the cable sparked.
An witness, Ladi Joshua said those injured have been taken to the hospital. But a man who lost his wife and three children was said to have taken poison when he received the sad news. He is said to have been rushed to Afolabi Hospital in the area.
Joshua gave the names of those that died as one Iya Fatima, who died with her child and one Iya Jonathan, who was pregnant and died with her children, adding that another boy, called Basit was also electrocuted. According to him, the deceased have been deposited at a mortuary in Yaba after they were rejected at the Gbagada General Hospital.