Starconnect Media
News

OVER 5000 PEOPLE DECLARED MISSING IN INDIA

indian seaside
indian seaside

Five thousand, seven hundred and forty-eight pilgrims, tourists and others people declared missing by the Indian government are now presumed dead. They are said to have been killed by flash floods and landslides that hit northern India last month.

Ad

“Compensation to their families will begin tomorrow on the assumption that they  are dead,” the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Vijay Bahuguna, said in the state capital Dehradun on Monday.

Ad

The victims were swept away when floods caused by torrential monsoon rains hit the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand in June, destroying entire villages and towns.

Structures occupied by travellers in the peak of the tourist season were also reduced to rubbles. .

Bahuguna said the total number of dead are 5,748 people. Some 1,000 people were confirmed dead  at the time of the floods, he said, while were officially listed only as missing.

Ad

According to a report monitored on Al-Jazeera, Bahuguna said his state government would compensate local residents while other governments would financially care for their residents, many of whom were pilgrims visiting remote Hindu shrines in Uttarakhand.

 

Ad

Related posts

Okowa donates $60,000 to Super Eagles to boost morale

starconnect

Reward system will raise standard of education – Experts

starconnect

MINIMUM WAGE: LABOUR PREPARES FOR STRIKE NOV 6

starconnect

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy