Admin l Thursday, May 18, 2017
SURULERE, Lagos, Nigeria – A family of four was early today roasted alive in Surulere, Lagos when their laundry shop was gutted by fire.
Those who died in the incident which took place in Surulere were the mother, identified as Hope, and the three children, a female- Chukwuka(9yrs) and two males- Nonso (7yrs) and Ugochukwu (6yrs) who were said to be residing in the laundry shop.
The family head, identified as Ignacious however survived but was severely burnt.
“Father identified as Ignacious sustained severe burnt and was taken to LASUTH, while Mother identified as Hope, and the three children: Female- Chukwuka(9yrs), Male- Nonso (7yrs) and Male- Ugochukwu (6yrs) who were said to be residing in the shop used for laundry services were also burnt to death”, General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Mr Adesina Tiamiyu said in a statement.
He said the dead bodies were all recovered by the Agency’s operatives and handed over to the Police at Aguda Police Station.
He said the afency received the distress call via the emergency number concerning a fire outbreak on THURSDAY 18th May, 2017 at about 2:38 am at B23 Ogunleye Street off Adekunle Kuye Street, Kilo Bus Stop Surulere.
“This prompted the immediate activation of the Lagos State Fire Service and Agency’s ERT to the scene of the incident.
“Investigation conducted by the ERT at the scene of the incident revealed that the cause of the fire which started around 2:38am could not be ascertained. Further information revealed that the fire affected (4)shops and it was said that a family which consists of the father, mother and three children sleeping in one of the shops we’re affected by the fire”, he said.
According to him the timely intervention of the Agency’s ERT and Lagos State Fire Service prevented the fire from escalating to other nearby buildings. Tiamiyu said proper investigation would be conducted on the incident and advised Lagosians to avoid sleeping in the shops overnight